Getting a job while studying

Getting paid work is a simple way to supplement your income. However, there are some important things to consider when thinking about getting a job whilst at medical school:

  • How much work you can realistically do in term time without your studies being affected?
  • Does the medical school you are attending give any guidance about the number of hours you should work?
  • Plan and budget ahead. Electives mean that you will have less time to work during vacations in the later years of your course.
  • Work as much as possible in the summer before you go to university and during vacations in the first years of your course.

This section contains advice on the different types of work available and where to find them along with information on income tax and how to reclaim it, and working as an EEA or International Student.

Types of work

These are many different types of student work available. Some ideas include:

Medically related part-time and vacation work

  • Hospital auxiliary
  • Healthcare assistant or care worker (you can often obtain this work from a nurse bank or agency)
  • Medical secretary
  • Theatre technician
  • Laboratory work in a hospital
  • Research scholarship

Other part-time work and vacation work

  • Bar work
  • Waiter/waitressing
  • Shop work
  • Office temping
  • Alumni telesales (advertised in the University Jobshops)
  • Local/seasonal events (e.g. festivals – ticket sales, bar work, security etc.)

Where to find work

There are lots of places to find temporary and part time work for students. Good places to start are your Students’ Union, your University’s Careers Service, and Faculty notice boards and emails. For temporary or part time work with the NHS, use the NHS Professionals website. For other temporary work there are many different high street employment agencies that specialise in providing temporary staff. There are also numerous websites dedicated to student jobs.

Start a filing system when you go to University. Keep all your important financial documents such as student funding notices, payslips, bank statements, tax credit awards etc. for at least six years. Take photocopies of important documents if you need to send the originals away.

Related articles

External links